Monday, October 6, 2008

A Disappointment of Epic Proportions


I'm not one to blog about my feelings. I usually stick to family news and pictures. But I've suffered a pretty severe blow this past weekend. I don't have any recourse at this point but to "blog it out". I'm talking of course about my beloved Cubs. We enjoyed a stellar season this year. Lots of hits, lots of runs, lots of wins. It looked like this was our year. We were so good, in fact, that it never really occurred to me that we wouldn't go deep into the postseason. And the World Series was a very much within reach. Of course the possibility of losing was always there, but I never really entertained it. I didn't really consider the possibility of losing in the first series again this year, like what happened last year. We were good last year, but nothing compared to this year. Then the post season finally came, and we had a repeat of last season's nightmare. 3 losses and out. Unbelievable! Any team can have a slump. Even good teams like the Cubbies. Unfortunately, we slumped at the worst possible time. That's what I keep telling myself. An unfortunate series that could have happened to any team. Because I'm not about to start believing in rubbish curses. A true Cubs fan has to be an eternal optimist. 100 years with no World Series championship does that.

So now that the season is over, I'm wondering what to do with myself. There were over 160 games this season, and I must have watched the vast majority of them (MLB.com, baby). I planned activities and work around game times. On any given day I always knew how many games ahead in the standings we were, who we were currently playing and where, who the starting pitcher was, who the next series was against, what time the game would be on that day, etc. Countless hours spent watching and thinking about the Cubs. I'm sure a lot of people would say it's odd, even sad, to be that into a baseball team. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, I say. It's been a tragic week this past week. I was sick to my stomach watching the Cubs choke in each of those games. I'm still pretty depressed about it and it'll take me another couple of weeks to come to grips with it. But I'm not going to knock the Cubs for ruining what should have been "our year", or be like a lot of the bandwagon fans who were on board while the Cubs were winning but have since jumped ship.

I'm looking forward to next season. I'm talking with Ty about possible changes that will happen this winter. We're working on getting down to Arizona for Spring Training next year. I'm still a believer. I Still love the Cubs. I can't wait for redemption. I just really hope it comes in 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really cant blame them. They clinched the post season early, sailed through their remaining games, and played a team that has been getting better and peaking this past month. The Dodgers look pretty good rought naw. You might take a minute and recall the Red Hot Chili Pepper song, Cabron from their album, By The Way. " I see you in the park, your always wearing Dodger blue." Maybe its that Dodger blue that has got you so blue. OH!!!!!!!!!! Better luck next year. Pero este.....